Metallica delivered a cover of Alice in Chains’ “Would?” during a special livestream ceremony Tuesday night, December 1st, honoring the grunge pioneers, who received the Museum of Pop Culture’s Founders Award.
The entire stream is available to watch, and Metallica’s performance starts at the 2:07:48 mark. The performance was recorded remotely and boasts both a stirring vocal performance from James Hetfield and — despite being a primarily acoustic rendition — a ripping guitar solo from Kirk Hammett, just for good measure.
Following the performance, Hetfield congratulated Alice in Chains on receiving the Founders Award, saying: “We’re glad to be a part of your journey and life, and really cool to have gotten to know all of you guys and to tour with you guys, and play music with you guys. You are much appreciated and thank you for continuing on playing music, and offering some inspiration for the new musicians of the world.”
Along with Metallica, the lineup for the MoPOP Founders Award livestream featured Korn performing their own version of “Would?” Mastodon performing “Again,” Billy Corgan performing “Check My Brain,” and Alice in Chains performing two songs, “Sour Decision” and “No Excuses.” Other guests included Kim Thayil, Krist Novoselic, Lily Cornell Silver, Nancy Wilson, Ann Wilson, Mark Lanegan, and Mike McCready.
Duff McKagan + Shooter Jennings, “Down in a Hole”
The event raised more than $700,000 for “youth development programs, access initiatives, community engagement, and world-class exhibitions,” according to the event’s organizers. The museum and Amazon Music partnered for an Amazon Originals compilation entiled MoPOP Founders Award Honoring Alice In Chains: A Benefit for the Museum of Pop Culture.
“So very honored and excited to be a part of this year’s Founders Awards honoring Alice In Chains and benefitting the Museum of Pop Culture,” Cornell Silver said. “These guys are, and always have been, my family, and I feel so lucky to be honoring them alongside so many amazing artists.”
1. “Your Decision” – Alice In Chains
2. “Rooster” – Ann Wilson
3. “Down In A Hole” – Duff McKagan, Shooter Jennings, Ayron Jones, Martin Feveyear
4. “Would?” – Korn
5. “Rain When I Die” – City and Colour
6. “Put You Down” – Liv Warfield
7. “Again” – Mastodon
8. “Would? (Acoustic)” – Metallica
9. “Black Gives Way to Blue” – Lily Cornell Silver with Chris Degarmo
10. “Nutshell” – Mark Lanegan, Maggie Bjorklund
11. “Man In the Box” – Dave Navarro, Taylor Hawkins, Corey Taylor, Chris Chaney
12. “No Excuses” – Alice In Chains
13. “Heaven Beside You” – Aryon Jones
14. “Check My Brain” – Billy Corgan
15. “Them Bones” – Fishbone
16. “Drone” – Kim Thayil with Krist Novoselic, Giants in the Trees
17. “Brother” – Nancy Wilson, Mark Lanegan and Liv Warfield
18. “Angry Chair” – Members of Soundgarden with Tad Doyle, Mike McCready and Meagan Grandall
19. “Black Gives Way to Blue” – Eric & Encarnación
20. “It Ain’t Like That” – Kim Thayil with Shaina Shepherd, Bubba Dupree, Bill Herzog, Nathan Yaccino
From Rolling Stone US