SXSW Sydney has announced a stellar lineup of free public events.
The free events will take place in Darling Harbour’s Tumbalong Park from October 15th-22nd, giving everyone a taste of what SXSW Sydney has to offer.
Tumbalong Park will act as a hub for all things creativity and innovation, giving attendees the chance to experience the future of music, games, screen, and tech. The free events range from live music, activations, showcases, screenings, demos, conference speakers, and much more.
View this post on Instagram
Below are some of the free public events on offer, with many more still to be announced:
Dive right into the exciting world of cutting-edge tech with demos and activations, so you can discover first hand, the limitless possibilities of technology:
Advanced Navigation – Cloud Ground Control
- Use drone technology to move full-sized Rovers around a track on the other side of the continent in Perth.
JMC Academy: Tech Showcase
- Witness the convergence of technology and live performance as audience members’ responses to gestures of kindness made by JMC Academy’s acting students are caught by our roaming cameras and projected on the large screen for all to share.
- For the camera-shy, audience members can prompt a Generative Artificial Intelligence tool to transform the projections into surprising and heartfelt portraits.
UTS: Motor Sports Electric FSAW Team
- The UTS Motorsports Electric team is proud to reveal its 2023 car at SXSW Sydney.
- Experience the future of driving, as imagined by a 70-strong team of UTS students from the faculties of engineering, design, business, science and communication.
Live Music Performances
A medley of local legends and international rising stars are set to take the stage at Tumbalong Park, including the very best of our Asia-Pacific neighbours.
Touchdown Under YEG Showcase, 19 and 20 October
- A diverse group of talent from Asia, from operatic metal to Indonesian folk to Korean R&B, each band a true star in their own country, now ready to take on the world.
- Presented by China’s most loved music festival, Concrete & Grass, and Asia’s biggest label group, YEG Music.
- Lineup: Isyana Sarasvati, GAC, Hindia, Nadin Amizah, Owen, Marv, Yuji, Ardhito Pramono, Feby Putri, Pop Shuvit, Soegi Bornean, Hujan, Adhitia Sofyan.
Young Henrys Rock n Roll Circus
- The beloved Sydney brewers are bringing their Rock & Roll Circus to SXSW Sydney, featuring secret acts covering iconic rock songs.
Breaking New Ground, presented by QMS
- Breaking, one of the four elements of Hip Hop born in 1970s New York, is set to debut as the most highly anticipated new sport in the 2024 Paris Olympic Games
- Gain an insight into cypher culture from the AUS Breaking Crew, ahead of the Oceania Olympic qualifying event, in this Q&A and battle – join the movement!
JMC Academy Student Performances
- Vocalists, bands, singer/ songwriters will grace the lunchtime stage with springtime vibes and dancing tunes.
Feed your inner knowledge-seeker with a program of curated speakers and panellists covering topics from scientific discovery to the power of culinary delights.
Adam Spencer’s “Big Questions” Panel with Dr Karl Kruszelnicki
- Free form, no-holds-barred discussions with some of the most exciting minds at SXSW Sydney, expertly curated by one of the brightest and funniest hosts in the business, Adam Spencer.
Yiying Lu and Chef Martin Yan
- A celebration of World Food Day with award-winner Chef Martin Yan and Creator of the Dumpling and Boba emoji and TEDx Speaker on Innovation Yiying Lu, exploring how the universal languages of food and art transcend linguistic barriers, nurture bodies and minds, foster friendships and bring joy.
Game Demos and Speakers
Bust out your best moves with a wide range of esport titles ready for you to jump in and play, as well as freshly minted demonstrations, right out of the gaming world.
Community Esports Meetup
- Strap in for an afternoon of head-to-head and team v. team esports live on stage… And if you’re feeling particularly bold, step up and test your button-mashing skills against the pros.
- Games like Rocket League, CSGO and League of Legends will be available to play!
Live Radio Shows
Get a front row seat to the world of radio broadcasts & podcasts, with live recordings and more, straight from Tumbalong Park.
FBi Grassroots – Live Radio Broadcast
- Join Jaimee Taylor Nielsen for a live broadcast of ‘Arvos’.
If you want to access more of SXSW Sydney than just the free public events, you’ll need a badge or wristband. Badges act as the master key for the festival, opening doors to all activity across the full week. For example, you’ll need a badge to watch Chance the Rapper talk hip hop.
Wristbands give access to SXSW Sydney’s music, screen or games festivals, for performance’s screenings, and showcases. With 300 music performances in 25 venues over four nights, there should be a show to suit every music taste.
You can discover the right level of access for you at SXSW Sydney here.