Home Music

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office

British royal Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested in England on suspicion of misconduct in public office

Melania Trump, Prince Andrew, Gwendolyn Beck and Jeffrey Epstein

Melania Trump, Prince Andrew, Gwendolyn Beck and Jeffrey Epstein at a party at the Mar-a-Lago club, Palm Beach, Florida, February 12th, 2000

Photo by Davidoff Studios/Getty Images

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested in Norfolk, England, on Thursday morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office. The British royal, formerly known as Prince Andrew before being stripped of his titles by his brother King Charles, is being detained by Thames Valley Police.

The police did not name Mountbatten-Windsor, in accordance with U.K. law, but confirmed they arrested a man in his sixties (the royal turned 66 today). The police also confirmed they are searching “addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said in a statement (via the BBC). “It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

The news comes after photos began to circulate of police vehicles at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, where Mountbatten-Windsor currently lives. The arrest is related to recent revelations in the Epstein files that suggest Mountbatten-Windsor sent trade reports to Jeffrey Epstein in 2010, not to ongoing allegations of sexual misconduct.

Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his titles by King Charles III in October following revelations about his relationship with Epstein. Earlier this month, the British monarch forced his brother to vacate his longtime home at Royal Lodge near Windsor Castle.

King Charles III released a statement on the arrest of his brother. “I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” he wrote. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

The former prince has continually denied any wrongdoing; however, he was mentioned and pictured several times in the 3 million-plus pages of documents released by the U.S. Department of Justice recently. One of the mentions of Mountbatten-Windsor is a photograph of him with a woman who appears to be Virginia Giuffre, who alleged she was forced to have sex with him as a teenager.

Love Music?

Get your daily dose of everything happening in Australian/New Zealand music and globally.

Giuffre was one of Epstein’s most prominent accusers and also filed a high-profile sexual-assault lawsuit against Andrew, which was settled in 2022. Giuffre died by suicide last April. Her family released a statement following Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest. “At last, today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty,” her siblings said in a statement distributed to news outlets. “On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the U.K.’s Thames Valley Police for their investigation, and the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.”

Prince William and Princess Catherine recently shared a rare public statement distancing themselves from Mountbatten-Windsor. “I can confirm that the Prince and Princess of Wales have been deeply concerned by the continued revelations,’’ the palace said in a statement on Feb. 9. “Their thoughts remain focused on the victims.”

This story is developing.

From Rolling Stone US